domingo, 19 de junio de 2011

Review of Something Evil by Cal Noble



Strangely enough, this was one of the first samples I downloaded from my Pitch Me! Horror Thread on Amazon. Having decided that the response was too great to cheekily ask for copies, I set myself the target of being entertained by the sample download. Entertained and of course engaged enough to take the rest of the book with me on my trip.

Something Evil did not disappoint. From its initial premise of a worried Plantation owner, desperate to protect his land and family from the aftermath of the Amercan Civil War, to on-the-run criminals it certainly drew me in. A pact with any spirit or devil, and Almanish does not let us down here, is always frought with danger. The loss of a daughter is a terrible price to pay, but once down that path there's no turning back. He saves his land, but at what cost?

Moving to the modern day, a runaway criminal and his friend choose the worst plantation in Alabama to hide in. The evil which lurks there promises to keep us on the edge of our seats for the rest of the novel.

An interesting inroduction, with good characters, a nice back story and the promise of real gore and violence, this worked for me. I gave it THREE AND A HALF out of FIVE. The reservation only being on the length of the sample, not on the writer's demonstration of how to write a good horror story. Worth a read.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario